Don’t you just love spying an old brick wall with a painted advertisement?  It’s like a little surprise in a mundane urban landscape.  So when I finished my faux brick kitchen wall, I couldn’t resist.  And using a graphic with an ancesor’s name in it?  Just had to!

Using a Graphics Fairy graphic and easily enlarging the graphic with Block Posters, I printed out the graphic and taped the pages together.

The next step was to transfer it onto the wall.  I tried using transfer paper, but when I traced, the line was not showing up very well.

So, I took out a black pastel and rubbed the back of the graphic, a la kindergarten transferring!  Worked like a charm!  I could easily see my traced lines.

I used a white paint, in this case, I used Heirloom Traditions All in One Paint in Manor House (an off-white).  You could easily use a craft acrylic, but this paint is very durable, and I had it on hand, so that is what I used.  I then created a shadow on one side of the lettering in the same paint in the color Cobblestone (a medium grey).  I used a small flat artist’s brush and a liner brush for the curliques and the shadowing.  I watered down the paint a bit in order to make it flow easily for the detailing.  I admit I had to go over it twice.

My next step was to add a light coat of the off-white paint mixed with a bit of water where the grout of the bricks was to soften the lettering in order to appear more blended in those spots.

After it was thoroughly dry, I lightly sanded to blend with the brick work.

And there you have it!  The old advertisement! Subtle, but a pleasant surprise when you notice it.

*This post contains affiliate links (those that take you to products on Amazon).  If you use the links to make a purchase, I will receive a very small monetary gain which helps with my artistic pursuits!  Thank you.

Advertisements

In my last post, I promised to show you my completed opera house.  When I did this online course offered by Heather Tracey of Thicketworks through the Graphics Fairy, the course was to create an opera house out of a cigar box.  So naturally I had to go off on a tangent and create a Moulin Rouge type dance hall with mine.  It’s name is the ‘Rats De Cave’ meaning The Rat Cellar.

So here is the completed box setting on top of it’s new home, my Going to the Opera in the Year 2000 table.

 

Here is the back of the dance hall depicting the stage door area

The base is constructed of altered books.  Niches were created in the books to house drawers for little treasures.

And just a reminder of what the inside looks like.

Next post I will share with you how I used many of the techniques learned in this online course into a Sweeney Todd themed box.

My latest project was a makeover for a sad little box that I got at the thrift store so long ago and sat in the basement forever.  I think I paid less than $5 for it and it is a good thing because the supplies cost a little more than I would have liked.

But, boy, do I love the results!

ugly-duck-box

Here are some of my inspiration pictures.

picmonkey-image

Here is the before.  Sad little duckies…..

img_0943I took the whole thing apart, removing the hardware and peeling off all the lose paper.

img_2717What a mess!  But in that mess was pure French gold!

I applied plain brown kraft paper to the inside of the chip board pieces using a watered down wood glue.

img_2718And added a French script fabric to the outsides and trimmed with a faux leather fabric.  Both of these fabrics were on the clearance rack at the fabric store.

I reused some of the hardware, which I repainted with a faux rusty effect using black and copper spray paint.

Added black upholstery tacks  found at the hardware store to the faux leather strips and Voila!  Ugly duck to French swan!

ugly-duck-collage